
SAN JUAN -- ALAC & Regional Leaders: Work Session, Part 1
Saturday, March 10, 2018 – 09:00 to 10:15 AST
ICANN61 | San Juan, Puerto Rico

UNKNOWN SPEAKER: This is the ICANN 61 ALAC and Regional Leaders Work Session Part 1 on the 10th of March 2018 from 9am to 10:15am in 102ABC with ALAC.

ALAN GREENBERG: We are on the hour, could people please take their seats. Can someone read out what the Adobe Connect Link is? I know it's on the agenda, I don't have the agenda up; participate.icann.org/sju61-102abc. Thank you. Alright, thank you. Welcome to ICANN 61 in Puerto Rico. Some of us didn't think we were actually going to get here. Thank you to our local hosts. I think this is going to be an interesting meeting, we've done a number of things differently than we have in the past.

We'll be talking about that in a couple of minutes, but just to highlight it right now, normally we have about 12 or 13 hours of ALAC Regional Leader Meetings. I think this time we have 18. We've tried really hard to make sure that we've allocated enough time so we're not continually cutting people off and hopefully it will made for a really productive meeting.

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

We've also reduced the number of sessions, the number of topics, to things that we thought had to be covered at this point, so I hope it will be interesting. To start off, since we seem to have most people around the table and we have a fair number of new people, one reason or another, I'd like to go around the table, sorry not around the table, I'd like to first of all have the ALAC members from the various regions introduce themselves, will start with Africa. Give the country you're from, we'll give people a flavor.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

I'm from Africa.

HADIA ELMINIAWI:

From Egypt, Africa.

ALAN GREENBERG:

And Seun I understand has been delay. Seun Ojedeji is in Atlanta, he's going from Nigeria, so that's not a bad way. All of our flights were cancelled a couple of times. Alright, Asia, Australia and Pacific Islands. Maureen, you're one of those.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yes, I'm one of those, I can start I think. APRALO and I'm the Cook Islands.

KAILI KAN: From China.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: I'm from Australia and I'm the ALAC's GNSO liaison.

JAVIER RUA-JOVET: From Puerto Rico, welcome to Puerto Rico, my plane made it on time. I'm so glad you are all here. This is going to be a great meeting, it's great for us to have you here. It's really meaningful to -- it's going to be really important at least to the convention center industry but it's a great statement to have a big convention. I hope the word of month spreads that nobody died and everybody did fine and I'm ALAC, thanks.

ALAN GREENBERG: I'd like to note at six minutes into the meetings, I have officially lost control. I did say we're going to be introducing ALAC people in order of the regions. Back to APRALO, we also have Holly Raiche who is not here, she's in the RDSPDP Meeting and next

we have Europe. I have learnt the alphabetic order of our regions.

BASTIAAN GOSLINGS: Thank you, I'll go first. Thanks Javier for us. ALAC Member for EURALO and I'm from the Netherlands.

ALAN GREENBERG: Do we have anyone else here from Europe.

SEBASTIEN BACHOLLET: From France, thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: Anyone else? Any other ALAC Members from Europe? The chair does not recognize the non ALAC member.

UNKNOWN SPEAKER: The chair should recognize someone who should introduce our third ALAC member from Europe who is missing from the room and is Andrei Kolesnikov current in the room next door with the SSAC as he is the newly select SSAC liaison and we're very proud of that in Europe.

ALAN GREENBERG: As well you should be. Latin America Caribbean.

YRJO LANSIPURO: Liaison to the GAC.

ALAN GREENBERG: I've now lost control twice, three times including Olivier. When I took this job, I showed a video about herding cats, I think I'll make it an annual event. Latin America Caribbean. ALAC members from the Latin America, do we have any? Go ahead Alberto.

ALBERTO SOTO: Thank you. I hope this loss of control becomes a trend in this meeting. Latin America and the Caribbean, I'm from Argentina and the location of Macropus. Thank you.

BARTLETT MORGAN: I'm a Jamaican living and working in Barbados.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you and last but not least, North America.

UNKNOWN SPEAKER: I have a question. I'm not a ALAC member but I'm the strait of LACRALO.

ALAN GREENBERG: We will be getting to them. I foolishly thought it would make more sense to show all of the ALAC members then go on to regional liaisons and regional leaders, obviously the group does not agree. North America Alan Greenberg, Canada.

JOHN LAPRISE: United States.

ALAN GREENBERG: And we have Javier who already introduced himself out of order. Alright, thank you very much. Can we have any liaisons who did not already do so, can you introduce yourself please; liaisons. Yrjo, you never did do that, so you can, at least I don't think you did. He did?

YRJO LANSIPURO: I did, actually, I did it twice. Yrjo Lansipuro, the liaison to GAC.

UNKNOWN SPEAKER: I'm introducing myself as the ccNSO soon to depart as ccNSO liaison.

ALAN GREENBERG: And of course, we have Andrei who's not here. Regional Leaders. Asia Pacific, do we have any? Sorry Africa, do we have any?

SARAH KIDEN: From Uganda, currently living in South Africa.

ALAN GREENBERG: And the chair Mohamed El Bashir could not be with us due to illness. Asia Pacific.

SATISH BABU: Chair of APRALO, I'm from India.

ALI ALMESHAL: Vice chair from Bahrain.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you, Europe.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Chair of EURALO, unfortunately our secretary is not able to make it here, so I'm the only leader for Europe supposedly.

ALAN GREENBERG: Latin America Caribbean.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: Thank you very much. I'm from Humberto Carasco from Chile, chair of LACRALO and I wanted to apologize the absence of our secretary who I presume will be joining us during the meeting. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: Is Maritza here? And lastly but not least, North America.

EDUARDO DIAZ: NARALO chair, welcome to Puerto Rico.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Good morning, Glenn McKnight, Secretariat and from Canada.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you and we have some quests; they are Indigenous Ambassadors Program but I don't believe any of them are here

at this point, so we will introduce them at some later date. If you're going to speak, you have to speak with the microphone, number one.

UNKNOWN SPEAKER: Former Secretariat NARALO but we also have several -- a couple of our ALSes who are here. We have John Moore who is from ISOC DC.

ALAN GREENBERG: We have a couple of our NomCom delegates in the room. If any of them are here, would you like to introduce yourself? Just come up to this microphone, a microphone at the table is probably the easiest, quick way.

NADIRA ALARAJ: I'm also from APRALO ALAC, we are here also for outreach to recruit more people. We encourage you to whatever you know, bring them onboard. Thank you.

AZIZ HILALI: I'm from Roko, a former AFRALO chair and now I am a NomCom member.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay, could I ask Heidi to introduce the staff that are here and mention the ones that aren't?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Thank you. Hi everybody, this is Heidi Ullrich, I'm the lead for At-Large Staff support. I'm going to have my team introduce themselves and then we do have some that are not here and some new ones coming.

SILVIA VIVANCO: I am from Lima Peru and my position is RALO manager.

EVIN ERDOGDU: I'm based in Istanbul and I'm the police coordinator and support.

YESIM NAZLAR: Base in Istanbul office, I'm the senior software coordinator.

GISELLA GRUBER: Good morning and welcome to Puerto Rico, I'm based in the UK of South African origin and I manage the At-Large Staff support team, so we'd like to welcome you to this session and we do have some housekeeping afterwards.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

And we do have some additional staff, because of that we have a transition that has just officially ended, so Ariel Liang, who was the policy analyst is now the GNSO, as Evin mentions, she's not taking those responsibilities on, so we're very happy about that. Because of that gap now in the support staff, we will have Claudia Ruiz, who many of you have noticed in the AC rooms and she doing call management support, she will here be starting Tuesday, so you will get to know here.

I'm also very happy to announce that our new 50% person, Andrea Glandon, she is here, you will be meeting her today at the Outreach event with ALAC and the NCUC and you'll be seeing here, so we're really pleased about that. Also, Mario Aleman, he is working on ALS relations, he's actually at the booth right now, looking at that. He'll be here presenting tomorrow, it's one of his ideas on ALS Engagement. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Thank you. I will say, I've rearranged the schedule without telling anyone, if we're ready for it, can we now do housekeeping?

GISELLA GRUBER:

I'd be delighted to the housekeeping. We have many familiar faces here but we also have new faces and even the familiars to do sometimes forget some of the housekeeping. I'd like to just point out that at the back of the room we have interpretation, English, Spanish and French, this allows everyone to participate in an equal manner and in order to maximize the use of this interpretation, we'd like to remind everyone, as we do during the conference calls to please state your names every time you speak, the interpreters A) don't know all of you and B) cannot necessarily see your names on the table, so for the other language channel to know who's speaking also when we listen to the recordings and we will remind people during the sessions, to please state their names every time they speak, to speak at a reason spread to allow for accurate interpretation, even if we're running out of time it won't help if we speak any faster and also when we have a questions to ask we have tent cards and if you could please raise those.

If you are in the Adobe Connect room we will also be looking at raised hands there. There will be a cue taker so we will be noting the order of the people raising their hands. Also, if we could please remind people to be back at a timely manner after the coffee breaks so that we can start the sessions on time. If there are any issues during the session we will interrupt just for our interpreters or if we have any technical issues. Then also,

while I've got the microphone, I'd just like to remind everyone that the most accurate information is on our WIKI page, we do check the ICANN schedule to make sure the changes have been noted there as well but we've had a change of session on the Sunday lunch and I will also be sending reminder emails out for that but all the agendas on our WIKI pages and all updates will be noted there.

For the gala on Monday, while I've got the microphone, tickets will be available at the .PR booths on Sunday and Monday, however we have been told that we will be granted access to the gala with our lanyards, with our name badges, so if you have that with you it shouldn't be a problem. We will keep you updated throughout the week with any further housekeeping. I can just wish you a great time here in Puerto Rico. Thank you for your local hospitality Javier, Alfred and Eduardo. Wishing you a very successful week, thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Thank you very much. I'm going to reemphasis the starting on time. In the past, I think the best we ever did and I use best in quotes, was we managed to start at minute 25 of 30 minute meeting with other guests coming in afterwards, that's really not nice for the people who had their session cut by a factor five sixths or something and of course that means we delay everyone

else, so please try to be back on time, I understand occasionally it doesn't work, occasionally I won't be here at that the right time but luckily I have vice chairs who will start the meeting anyway.

But we really do need to have people who are back and sitting at the table and not having conversations for the first 20 minutes of our sessions. One of the things that Gisela didn't mention is you'll notice these funny little robots in the middle of the room, those are cameras, they automatically home in on where you are speaking from most of the time, just be aware. It's quite fun watching them try to figure out where you are.

One of the implications by the way of moving your microphones, if you move them to much then they'll focus on where the microphone should have been. We will be having a couple of votes, at least one vote during this meeting. That will be to confirm Barrack Otieno as our new ccNSO liaison affective the end of the meeting. I don't believe at this point we're going to be having any other votes, although they may come up. Most of our votes can be extended to catch people who aren't in the room, so we shouldn't need any proxies at this meeting but if that changes we'll let you know. I think that's about the end of housekeeping.

Anyone have any comment, question on anything we've done to date? The next thing we're going to do is a quick of some of the key sessions that we'll be having and then go into preparation for the board meeting. Anything, comments, questions or whatever on anything we've done to date or something I've missed? Olivier?

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much Alan. Two things that you've missed relating to one thing, which is the tent cards. For people not to lose their tent cards and if they wish to take the floor from the table to put their tent cards as demonstrated by Olivier Crepin-Leblond at present and for you to recognize that. If you do lose your tent cards, is there a penalty or how does that happen? I think Gisela is saying yes.

ALAN GREENBERG: Five dollars each.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: It's a serious thing because I generally find 10 cards laying all over the place and it's just a bit of a mess, thanks.

ALAN GREENBERG: We do have a modest number of spares because it does happen but if you can remember, please take your card with you so you have it for the next meeting.

YESIM NAZLAR: Thank you, Alan. When leaving the meeting room, either please hand your tent cards back to either me or one of the staff members or take it with you so we don't lose it.

ALAN GREENBERG: Anything further? Alright, as I ask we do have a packed agenda. We have a fair number of sessions on policy, sometimes we've been criticized that we spend all of our time on administration, although we will be doing some of that there are a number of policy issues. We will be talking about both the At-Large Review and ATLAS, the At-Large Summit that we're hoping to hold in about a year and a half. We'll get to that in a moment.

I have created, which I sent out by email, a one-page cheat sheet on all of our sessions, which is correct as the time I sent it out, no doubt it will be changed. Perhaps staff could print out a dozen or two dozen of them and let other people get copies if they find it useful. Tijani, please go ahead.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Thank you, Alan. I don't know why you didn't mention a vote of ALAC about our position, our comments on the FY19 Budget, since it now ready I think we can vote on it not today but later, since we are here.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you. I didn't mention it because I didn't think of it, thank you. We will add that to the agenda, good point. Before we go into the agenda a brief comment on that. Although we have talked a lot in At-Large about the budget because of a number of projected cuts we didn't do a very good job of creating the statement, that Tijani had some problems and he had some delays in doing it and we ended up -- he did one without any real consultation because timing just go away and then it came upon me to do a revision of it and also I did while I was sitting in airport lounges and on airplanes mainly before my batteries ran out, so we haven't had a lot of time on consultation.

It was based completely on the comments that had been made and input we had received, so I don't believe there too much there that is not going to be supported but it was not created in the best possible ways, with people having really chance to comment on the real words and I apologize for that part, part of that was my fault but I believe it is representative of the kinds of issues that we're talking about and we will of course be talking

about that more as we go ahead. If I can quickly do the highlights right now, how are we on time? We've got plenty of time.

The first session after this one in fact is a review of the budget and both the budget highlights and the ABR. I don't want to spend all of the time complaining about the cuts. I think it's well understood and I personally am very optimistic that we're going to see some significant changes in that area when the final budget comes out but I think we do have to emphasize with them that when we see cuts to CROP, which we're not advertised at all and the fact that they weren't advertised I find worse than cutting.

A decision to cut it perhaps just for this year because of the high cost of meetings but just making it disappear, without any clarity, I don't find acceptable at all. When in the past, when we have done budget requests that involve Outreach and Engagement, we have typically been told to use CROP, now we have a situation where the additional budget request envelope has been slashed. CROP is gone and our last resort GSE finding some money, has said they have reduced their funds for that kind of thing, so it's a triple whammy and clearly not going to be very happy about that.

This is the right time for that full discussion but I that will focus part of what we want but I think we really want to focus from my point of view, on emphasizing that we're looking for responsible budgets, we're not looking for deficits but we have to make sure that things are done fair and evenly. Tijani, please go ahead.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

Thank you very much Alan. I don't think it is useful to complain between us here about the draft budget. It is better to go to the three sessions the finance department is organizing during this week. I unfortunately will not be able to attend any of them.

I was programmed to attend the Working Group Meeting but unfortunately, we have a meeting with the Board as co-chair of the CCWG, so I will not be able to attend. I encourage everyone to go there and to say whatever you want to say, it is there where you can impact and change.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Thank you, Tijani. Sebastien is next.

SEBASTIEN BACHOLLET:

I have nothing against going every one of us in those meetings organized by the finance department but I would like very much that we discuss what is our position on this whole budget.

That's not a simple answer and I really think that we need to have a global view of this budget and I hope that someone will be able to give us this input to allow complete discussion on the budget for now and to see what is position of ALAC and not just what we will write for the comments but how we want to deal with that.

How we want to deal with our new power as member of the Empower Community and all those issues we may face in the future about this budget. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: Judith.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: I disagree with Tijani. I think we do mention it at the Planning Meeting but I think we also mention at our session with Xavier today at 11 because I think it's very important for him to hear us and our point of view and we may not be able or have the time to get that across as well at the session and so I think it's very important that he really understands what our point of view is on these budget cuts.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you. I don't believe anyone was saying don't mention it, I just don't think we need 17 people saying the same thing one after the other and for the records Xavier will not be here, it'll be Becky Nash and Barnette Rosti participating remotely. I can't see whose card that is, I think it's Alberto's.

ALBERTO SOTO: I believe Alan said something very important regarding CROP and I think this must be the guidance we have to use for everything else related to all other issues related to the budget. He said that for CROP we should have been told in advance before making a cut, before writing it off, they should give us the rationale, why is this?

Because some ALS's had planned activities for this year and they won't be able to carrying them out if we talk about each issue relating it to the budget we won't be complaining about the cut but about the way they have dealt with it.

ALAN GREENBERG: I don't want to make this whole session into the discussion on budget. This was to be a review of highlighting what the sessions are. If anyone has a compelling comment though, please go ahead.

The next of the session is ATLAS 3. There has been a fair amount of press from a number of people on ATLAS 3 communicating a lot of misinformation. The message that has been distributed widely is that we were planning a meeting of 250 people and it's going to cost five million dollars.

If anyone in this room thinks those numbers are anywhere accurate, you're in the wrong room and we will be having a session talking about where we believe we should be going and what we need to do to get there. Just for the record, those the numbers are way off but we will be talking about that in the ATLAS session and we need to go forward with a single message and a single direction so we're not sending mixed messages to different people.

Regardless of the details, the budget is not set yet at this point and some people have said it might be jeopardized, it might be jeopardized and until the actual budget is approved, but we had a timing problem we need to address. Eduardo, next.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

When you say it was off, want to know if was off up or down?

ALAN GREENBERG: No, we're planning on bringing 500 people and 10-million-dollar budget. That is a joke, both of those numbers that have been quoted in the press are high, very high. Alberto. Again, this is not a discussion on the subject, we're just pointing that we will have a session on it.

ALBERTO SOTO: It was the same, sorry, it has already been asked. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: I think that's going to be an interesting session and we will be having it very shortly. The next session is on the Information Transparency Initiative. This is a relatively complex term which really means the intent to make sure that we can find things.

At this point it is a relatively complex project and an expensive project and we'll be focusing at this point my understanding is, that will need to be clarified, just on the ICANN website, which explicitly means excluding the ALAC website and excluding the WIKI. I think we're looking for -- I'm personally looking for feedback on that to find out just what's going to do and it will really solve our problems or not? Judith.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: If you also want additional work, the Technology Task Force is going to be having them talk about that as this has been one of our issues with them for a while. Come to our Technology Task Force on Wednesday at 9am.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you. The next session is with GSE. One of the focuses of that will be no different from the budget one in that a lot of our discussions with GSE are how can we work cooperatively in our various engagement efforts? Again, if indeed we do not see a change in the budget, which I'm optimistic we will but if we don't see a change in the budget, how do they propose that we continue our engagement work and how can we work together to do it better?

We're not going to have a lot of presentations in that session I believe but it's our opportunity to work with large group in ICANN whose job it is to interact with the community. I think these are all people that we can be very candid with. A large part of their focus, they are saying in the Operational Plan, will be on interacting with business for instance. I didn't see a lot of words that were aimed at the groups that we're talking to and I think that could be some interesting discussion there. No comments?

The next session that I'd like to highlight is the one on gTLDs. gTLDs have been a significant focus, new gTLDs, within At-Large. The participation in the PDP from At-Large people is not large. We've been having sessions, we had one at the last meeting and another one here on specific topics, bringing in the track leaders in general, to give us a briefing on what's going on there and an opportunity for us to ask questions or try to feed input into the process or maybe just to entice some people to start participating.

When the sub groups meet on a particular subject they announce it ahead of time. You can participate without having to be at every single meeting but when we're talking about something that you care about, if you're not there, discussions are going to be made without you and then afterwards we will get royally upset that it didn't work they we wanted when we didn't bother saying what we wanted. The topics that we're talking about in this meeting are GONAMES and that one does have a fair amount of At-Large participation in.

Community TLD's, we talked immensely about Community TLD's and how wrong it was it done last time. If you want it done right this time, maybe we should be talking in those forums and when I say we, I mean more than just me and Cheryl. Cheryl as

co-chair now can't speak all that much, so Cheryl has gotten immensely more important and immensely more silent.

Applicant Support, few people around At-Large seem to care about that, not clear where that's going and that is one that is perhaps floundering most because there's been very, very little input. Remember, last time the money came from the ICANN Board, it's not likely to come from the ICANN Board this and if no one's pushing for it, it's just not going to happen. Lastly is pricing, pricing is an interesting topic. It's not pricing of domains, it's pricing of the TLD, what do we charge for the process? The original policy in the first round, was it must be cost recovery but nothing more than cost recovery of the application processing.

I personally believe that is the wrong approach going forward but again, the majority of people working in this kind of group, are ones who are going to apply. They have interest in keeping the price low, some of them, some of them don't. We have some people who said, "I paid \$185,000 for my first one and that's what everyone should pay, including me if I apply again." Other people are saying something very different. Again, it's a really important topic and in a time when ICANN says, "We're short of money." Should we really be saying, "We don't want any of

that.” Interesting questions but most of them are not being raised. Cheryl, yes.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Thank you very much Alan. Yes, I am guilty as charged in terms of being one of the co-chairs of the subsequent procedures for new gTLDs, PDP Process. What I’d like to just encourage you to do in preparation for this afternoons session and as Alan’s outline, these are topics which should resonated with you and your communities. What I’ve asked our Team Leaders, our Work Track Leaders to come prepared for, there will be a small slide deck but really that’s just for decorative purposes and reference. What we’d like to and it’s about 20 minutes I think Alan, you’ve allowed us for each topic?

ALAN GREENBERG: We have four topics in 90 minutes, so about 20 each. Part of its presentation, most of which is discussion hopefully.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Great, cause that’s what I was going to do. If you can prepare yourselves for questions, discussions, take this into an interactive process. Think of this as a roundtable workshop opportunity and I can assure you, your voice, where it resonates

with some sort of agreement around the room, will then be noted and heard. This is an opportunity for input.

I'd also like to remind you of where we are up to in the process of subsequent procedures for new gTLDs PDP and that is, we are about get into the drafting of our initial report. We are not totally in consensus with a whole lot of recommendations yet but we are honing in to a set of recommendations that will be going into the initial report and that we will be seeking public comment and input it. This meeting this afternoon will allow you to have pre-influence and prior discussion on at least some of the topics which Alan's identified as of great interest to our communities. I'd love to see really long speaking lists and to two or three minutes each, this is a very rare opportunity at a very special time when drafting is about to begin. Thank you, Alan.

ALAN GREENBERG:

The next session that I'll highlight is the one on GDPR RDS Whois, if you're not familiar with those acronyms either you're very, very new to ICANN or you need to do your homework. These are linked together but multiple different things. ICANN is reacting to the threat of large fines in Europe and it took us a long time to wake up but we have woken and we're actually doing amazing things, amazingly quickly.

People may or may not like the direction we're going in. We'll talk a little bit about that. We will talk a little bit about the RDS PDP, which should have been addressing these issues and finished by now but it's two years into and it's not making very fast progress and the GDPR Implementation may or may not make it easier to come to a good outcome in the PDP.

There's multiple views as to whether this is a help or a hinderance. Lastly there is in parallel with this, a specific review going on of RDS, which I have a minor interest in and that I'm chairing it. I'll talk you a little bit about where that one is going. Not a lot ALAC can about that other than when we finally get to the point of commenting, provide some, all though we will take input at any time if anyone has any thoughts but I'll give you a little inside into where that's going.

We are meeting with the Organizational Effectiveness Committee or a subset of that committee probably but certainly with the chair and with Leon on Monday at lunch hour. It's a meeting where it is a lunch meeting, we will be providing meeting. It's very, very tight, we only have an hour total and that's including gathering our food and eating. It's not clear at this point if it's a boxes lunch or it's a buffet but we're going to ask people to organize themselves very quickly.

As many of you are aware, this At-Large Review has now been going on for three years since we started the process. It does seem longer. We started talking about it before then but my reference point is the mailing list was setup in March of 2015. We would like to get it finished one day. Anyone who has been around knows, that we had significant problems with the Review Team and the reports.

The Organizational Effectiveness Committee thankfully was equally unhappy with the report as we were. Perhaps for different reasons but that doesn't really matter. They proposed that we forward of looking at the issues raised and what we were planning to do with it and that didn't work very well, the way it was done. We are now purposing that we create the plan of how to address the issues raised or rationalize why we don't want to address them and you will have seen in your mailbox late last night or this morning, the semi-final draft version of the document. We'll stop of photography. The program will now resume.

I believe and believe Leon agrees, that the document that we now have is a good start, it needs a little bit of refinement. It needs some words around it but I believe it is a reasonable way to go forward. I am hoping the Organization Effectiveness Committee of the Board agrees and that can quickly go through

them, perhaps with some modification, perhaps not and go onto the Board.

If that happens, we are in the position of actually having to implement what we're promising to do. That will be a lot of work but at least it will be a relief of working on something productive instead of just writing reports, which I for one am getting very tired of doing. This will be, as I said, a very short meeting but hopefully we'll come out of that meeting saying this looks like a good way forward and he's willing to present it to his committee. If that's the outcome then we're much farther along than we were before. Do we have speaker list on this? Olivier.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much Alan. You mentioned the length of time that this At-Large Review has taken. Indeed at last night's Community Leader's Dinner, with the ICANN Board and CEO, the first point that the CEO made when sitting at our table was a question regarding those Organizational Review quoting the fact that the ALAC one seems to have gone on forever, it seems to be stuck in cyber cycle as in the moment it will finish its review we will probably have to start another one after that. There was a big of discussion around this. Will there be any time for us to even comment on the proximity of reviews and I believe seven reviews that are due to start next year?

ALAN GREENBERG: Two things, number one, Goran and MSSl when they talk about these conflate the specific reviews and the organization reviews, they are two very, very different things and I really think it confuses the picture when treat them as the same, that's point number one. I have said for a number of years now, that I believe we need a review of our Organizational Reviews.

The ICANN has spent an immense amount of time, an immense amount of staff and huge amount, if that's a word, of volunteer time, working on these organizational reviews and the return on investment from them has been pitiful. Even when they ended up with things to implement, when you start asking, how substantive benefit was there from implementing what you promised to implement, it's not clear. I think this whole process needs to be rethought and I'm now starting to hear that from Board members, that's positive.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Thank you, Alan. I'm pleased that that's brought up.

ALAN GREENBERG: Can we pause until we stop the echo?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: I'm pleased that point was brought up because it strikes me if we're looking for some immediate savings to apparently crisis budget, notice the tone in my voice there, not paying external -- continue to pay for a while external independent examiners to do a round three of Organizational Reviews, seems like one of those obvious savings. I would suggest we could bring that into our discussion on the FY19 Budget and Beyond.

JOHN LAPRISE: I would echo Olivier's comments, because I was also at the dinner last and Theresa Swineherd commented at our table that the volume and pace of organizational reviews is front and center for her as an ongoing issue for ICANN Org, so they're concerned as well.

ALAN GREENBERG: Those of us who've been around for a year's not only see the number of reviews as an issue but the complexity and the amount of work involved in the reviews and an issue. I'll talk about that a little bit when I talk about RDS Review and my perception of this has been done. We have become very, very administrative focused and not necessarily on productive focused. Effectiveness I think is a work -- is not in the ICANN

vernacular in many days. That's going to be an interesting discussion.

We have the session with the ICANN Board, which will be looking at just in a few minutes and we'll be looking at the questions in both directions and talking about our answers.

The session on KSK Rollover is a really critical session. It has not been focused at much in At-Large and I personally have some significant problems with the draft statement that was written. The KSK Rollover as I hope you know, certainly if not you must be at this session, by introducing a new DNSSEC Key, for any DNS Resolvers that do look at DNSSEC, that do use security, if they do not install new trust anchor, the internet will stop working that day.

We have determined that a significant number of resolvers do not have the new trust anchor. As a matter of fact, it's getting worse because of the ones that we can check, the percentage that do not have the anchor is going up. The translation of that is, as new people install the current software that will allow to check, fewer and fewer of them are doing it properly. There is no way that we centrally check to see if any given DNS Resolver is going to be do it right. There is no way you as a user can verify if

the DNS Resolver that you use will do it right. We're assuming most of the big ISP's will, maybe.

There are an infinite number of DNS Resolvers that were probably for small organizations by some contractor who did their, charged their money and went away. Those will break. The question is, do we do the rollover or do we not? If we do it, it's going to break for some percentage until it gets fixed. There's no way roll it out, there's no way to roll back. Once we make the change it's made. The question is, do we advise ICANN to make it? We are the only group in ICANN that's supposed to be caring about users. It's going to be an interesting topic and we do have to think about it. It's not one of those things that we know what our answer is. Alberto.

ALBERTO SOTO:

We have been doing some work in LACRALO, Alan. I submitted a project and I've this conversation with our RIR for our ALSes to be a channel to get to over 20 Latin American and Caribbean countries spreading the information about IPB6 and the key rollover. That was over a year ago, they said, "Yes, we're going to do it."

And I have no news since then. I'm going to go back to the RIR person because I think that's one way to disseminate

information because we are very many to get the ISP's and to the chambers association supplies, ISP's, universities, to anyone who manages the data center that requires IPB6 and the key rollover.

ALAN GREENBERG: Again, remember this is not the discussion on the topic. This is just highlighting that we will be having the discussion. We are starting to run out of time. We have a speaker cue, which I'll close now. We have Ricardo and Humberto.

RICARDO HOLMQUIST: I echo Alan's words. My main is concern the ccNSO's in small countries. My country for example has no DNS Sec implemented and I'm saying they should be ready for the KSK Rollover. I understand that this would happen with many countries if they are not ready for the rollover.

ALAN GREENBERG: -- have DNSSEC enabled, you're safe, you're not going to have a problem. One of the concerns is people will hear what is going on, worry about it and turn off DNS Sec and chances are they will never turn it back on again, that's a concern. It's probably pertinent thing to do. We have Humberto, Tijani put his card up

after the cutoff, I'll give him a very short intervention but very short, we are running out of time.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: I would be very, very quick. Chili is a little bit delayed in implementation of IPV6 that is something we are discussing and as Alberto was saying, LACRALO has held two workshops with our RIR when in Peru and one in Chili on IPB6 last year. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: -- DNSSEC, not IPV6. Tijani.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Thank you very Alan. I don't want ALAC to give the message that ALAC don't want the rollover to happen. It must happen and I don't think that there is anyone in this room that thinks it shouldn't happen. The problem is, are we ready for it and this is another issue. It was delayed for one year because we weren't ready for other reasons, now there is as you said, this issue of the resolvers and I think that we have to highlight the importance of making it prepared and do it properly. The Capacity Building Working Group have already organized a session, a webinar about the KSK Rollover before the date of the

rollover that was supposed to be done and now we will organize two other webinars for this time and it will be closer to the date.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you. I do advise everyone to actually come to the session and listen to David before you've made your decision. The answers are not as obvious as one might think.

We have a session with GAC and if Yrjo are you prepared to quick just read the topics so we have some idea of where we're going? We may or may not get to all of them.

YRJO LANSIPURO: The agenda is as follows, geographic names in subsequent new gTLD procedures to enter remodels for compliance with GDPR, cooperation in capacity building in underserved regions, follow up to the joint GAC ALAC statement on inclusive informed and meaningful participation in ICANN and all other reasons.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you. We're having a full hour and a half session on brainstorming of how do we purpose to track performance and activity among our ALS's and among our individual workers and when I say individual I'm just talking about the unaffiliated members, but the individuals that we identify from ALS's, to be

active, as will be made clear when we talk about ATLAS, that's going to be an important issue, how do we identify the workers and how do we identify the potential future workers?

It's going to be a very key part of the At-Large Review Implementation and this will be an opportunity for people just to put forward some ideas, not necessarily to knock down someone else's ideas but just start brainstorming and look at the kinds of issues that we want to identify and try to figure out ways we might be able to work. It's going to be a pretty free form session and hopefully we'll end up with something that as we start the At-Large Implementation and prep for ATLAS, we can actually implement. I don't plan to come up of it with a plan, let's just get some ideas on the table.

The last session is one of our wrap up sessions with Goran Marby. I would suggest we don't want to talk about budgets with him because the answer will be, "Fine, what do you want me to cut from your budget?" And I'm sure I want to have that discussion. We have made a big statement in our comment to the budget and plan, that we want fairness. It's not just a matter of which of our cuts should be made. I suspect we don't want to go there with that, with him with that discussion but there's plenty of other things to talk about. We haven't posed a lot to him. He will certainly come with a number of things he wants to

say and hopefully we'll have enough time for people to pose questions from the floor.

That is the only other thing. I realized from housekeeping we forgot one thing. What we will start doing when we get into formal sessions is we will do a three-minute timer for first intervention, a two minute timer for all successive interventions and reduce it to one quite arbitrarily, if it starts be apparent that we have a speaker cue that's building longer than will fit in the session. We're going to try to do that. We are not going to use an alarm unless it becomes really bad but people may start tapping their glasses or something. It's really important that people not over speak and talk longer than the time given. We will use with guests when they're replying to questions, obviously not for their regular interventions, depends on the guest and depends on the interest and the topic though and that will be a chairs call.

Last part of our talk is on -- I've been given a note saying, "Action's items marked." I have no idea what that means. The item was that when we have action items, make sure they are recorded so we actually understand what they mean afterwards. But that discussion was had and we will do that properly. Olivier.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much, Alan. Just mentioning in advance on our forthcoming discussions on FY19 Budget and FY19 ABR Updates, if I could just mention, I don't think you have mentioned it, that we just don't focus everything on CROP or on travel but we actually look at other things. You mentioned it this morning in the ALAC breakfast, I think it would be good to mention it here with everyone in the room. We have several points to work on, so yes let's mention the CROP and then let's also move on with the other things that we need to talk about. I'll let you deal with that. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: I think I did mention it but regardless, it bares reminding and as was pointed out, it's not just the cut, it's how it was done, that's more crucial. Questions for the Board, have them large enough so I can see it would be nice. Is there any way we can make that such that some of us can read it? Getting closer. Alright. The first question and I'm not sure which order we will do them in, in the meeting itself.

We have two questions to the Board. The first one is, in the chair's blog the Los Angeles Workshop Recap Cherine Chalaby mentioned that the Board discussed the challenges we are facing around deciding if something is in the global public interest. Could the Board provide the ALAC with more details

about the topic and discuss the findings? That question came from Hadia, is Hadia here? When Hadia comes back we'll mention to her that she is going to be presenting it. Let's wait till she comes back at this point and we'll come back to that one.

The other question was, budgets are clearly going to be a subject of much conversation going forward in ICANN. Do Board member -- this is my question by the way and notice I say the Board members, not the Board, cause the Board has not necessarily formulated any thoughts on this. Have any thoughts on opportunities to increase revenue and any thoughts or concerns on how budget reductions might endanger the multi stakeholder model?

My reason for raising that is twofold. Our revenue right now is virtually completely dependent on gTLD sales, on second level domains and industry people I've talked to, seem to feel that ICANN's lowest estimate is something they would kill for. They're just not seeing that kind of sales and there are forecasts that revenue could go down significantly. If we are successful for instance in combating the use of domain names for spam for fishing for a number of other things, we make a lot of money out of those. Are we looking for other alternatives?

And I think that's important issue and when we start cutting, we cut the easy cuts, then groups such as our, but we are not

unique, are going to have a very hard time presenting our cases in the multistakeholder model and it becomes a more unequal model than we have before. I think it would be an interesting topic. I'm hoping we'll get some actual answers from the Board. Humberto.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: I want to be brief. As I was coming to Puerto Rico I was thinking that what I don't know whether the ICANN Board uses a rule that a good times part of the income should be saved, in Chile we call this the rule of the structural super rabbit. Part of the income, because we are an exporting country, we know that in good times there is one, two or three percent of income that is safe for bad times, for a crisis, so that time we can use the money you have saved in good times so that we don't have to cut down on expenses, so that we don't have to face what we are facing at ICANN right now. I don't know whether BOARD is using a similar rule, it might be a question, I don't know if we could include it right now, to pose it to the Board.

ALAN GREENBERG: It's in our agenda and we haven't talked about that we're supposed to be answering yet. If we could keep these interventions very, very short please. Sebastien.

SEBASTIEN BACHOLLET: First thing I want to talk about is what Humberto just talked about. It's a subject on which there is a discussion right now. How do we put money back in the reserve fund? The reserve fund is there for that reason, after the transition we have spent money. How do we put money back when we know that the budget is decreasing? The question asks here is we have to be very careful, can we respond to this question, can we answer?

Asking other people what they are feeling without actually showing our opinion is dubious. What do we think about all this in order to absorb our ideas from Board members that could be useful, that could actually help us or could be contrary to what we think about the situation.

I want to insist that we have to have discussion upon the budget and not only for the points that concerned us, the expenses that concerned us, we need to talk about the global budget. We are one of the organization that has to take a position on the budget, so this is what we need to do in the next session when we talk about the budget. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: I'll note that repeatedly we have asked for topics of what do we want to discuss? That one was not raised as something, it's not

on the agenda right now. We can try to find some time for it, it's not there at the moment. Hadia, you're back now. The first question that we have on the list was one that you supplied.

To give a little bit of background to the people in the group who may not have been around for this whole story. The Board is the only group within ICANN that is charged with balancing the various competing interests and looking at the global public interest. Their world was significantly more complicated with the new bi-laws that were written as a result of the accountability exercise because the bi-laws now explicitly say, if the Board is going to determine what the global public interest is in any given area, they must use a community driven bottom up process.

The translation of that is, the Board is no longer allowed to determine what is in the global public interest and yet their responsibility is to make decisions in global public interest. That's the problem that they have and it's a good question. They're just to discuss it, so I'm not sure to what extent people will be willing to address it. I would suggest when you phrase the question, when you ask it, replace where were say "Could the Board provide." With "Could Board members provide." Cause the Board doesn't have a position on this right now, individual Board members might, maybe.

The Board has asked we're already over time by the way and I'm sorry we will have to go into the break at this point. The Board has asked us two questions. Number one, what are your key goals in 2018? The Board is interested in the question to make sure that its own priorities are aligned with the community priorities.

The second one is, what are your most relevant longer-term goals? The Board is interested in this because discussions of longer term goals and strategy planning will commence soon between the Community, the Board and ICANN Org and that's to build a new five strategic plan. I'd like some suggestions on what answers might be and volunteers to take the first lead of presenting the first part of the answer. Either of those two questions, is anyone interested in talking about them? Sebastien, please go ahead.

SEBASTIEN BACHOLLET: I have a question, is this addressed to ALAC or is this addressed to the members of ALAC, the same way you distinguish between the member of the Board and the Board? Do they want a unified answer or response from each one of us?

ALAN GREENBERG: I'm sure they would like a unified answer. If we had spent 15 minutes on talking about these answers and not as much on the questions, we might have come up with a unified answer, although I doubt it. I think we're probably, unless we do some magic between now and the Board Meeting, we'll talking about opinions, which means we're going to have to keep them really short and they may be diverse. But it's certainly something we're going to have to decide going forward. Sadly, I don't we'll be in a position by the time of the Board Meeting to actually present that, unless someone has some way of going forward.

RICARDO HOLMQUIST: With that question, planning for the next five years term, this would be done with a bottom up approach, I believe that what ICANN should do is make a real forecast of what it expects its income because if we don't know what our income is going to be in the next five years nobody will be able to plan. In the past five years we planned for good times because ICANN's income was rising and rising significantly and that's why we had a reserve fund. Just replenishing the reserve fund where it's taken twice as much as we thought, even though we didn't use it for transition that much. If we don't start planning for the bad times, it will be very difficult to be able to plan everything else.

ALAN GREENBERG: -- planning is exactly what this is about. They are asking us, at the bottom of the pyramid, what do we think? I will say the chair of the Board has taken a slightly different position than in the past and is determined that as we build a five-year strategic plan and a five-year operational plan, we cost them out and not adopt the plan that we can't afford. That's a rather radical view that we've never considered before.

HADIA ELMINIAWI: I would say that our answer for the first question should include that we plan to engage and encourage more individuals from across RALOs to engage and participate more in the policy development of the internet unique resources. If we actually promote this and say this is on our top list, this definitely requires a need, a budget. I wouldn't speak about the budget here at all but I would rather only concentrate on the objectives and the goals that we want to reach.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you. Certainly I would say that one of our main goals in 2018 is the proceeding into the implementation of the At-Large Review and starting the review and starting the implementation and a significant part of that is exactly what you said and I think we now have a volunteer to be the first person to answer that

question unless we find someone else who wants to fight you for it.

HADIA ELMINIAWI: I'll draft something and sent it to all.

ALAN GREENBERG: We'll talk before then.

SEBASTIEN BACHOLLET: I think I would like very much as a long term goal for our organization is to have systemic review of the ICANN Organization because we are starting to see discrepancy, difficulty, competition and we are not here for that, we are here to be the voice of one of the stakeholder end users and the organization it didn't change really since 2003. It's really a time now after the transition to have this review and it's not need to be done in five months or in one year, it's a long-term goal.

ALAN GREENBERG: That was an answer to the second goal. I'll note we're starting in seven minutes. The coffee break is one level up. Our speaker is already here. I would like to conclude this very quickly. Alberto,

if you have something that you'd like to say for no more 30 seconds, you're out.

ALBERTO SOTO: Very quickly. If the Board wants to cut the budget I understand there are reasons for this it's not just a management cut. I would like to know if the reasons for lower income is the fact that social media is use for sales and not that have just one domain to sell that would cost nothing using social media.

ALAN GREENBERG: Too late to add another question to the Board at this point, that has been frozen, they've been given to them. Sebastien, are you willing to take the first lead on answering the second question? Alright, clearly, we have not had enough discussion on this. I'm available, let's talk about it. If we get any other nuance answers to both of those questions, to get someone else speaking, that would be good. Let's talk about it offline. The meeting adjourned for five minutes, that not a long time, let's try to be on time for the next session. Thank you.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]